When it comes to offering spinning classes at your health club, you may wonder whether a licensing agreement is required. The short answer is – it depends.

Spinning, which is a form of indoor cycling, was created by a company called Mad Dogg Athletics. They own the trademark “Spinning” and have developed a comprehensive certification program for instructors who wish to teach spinning classes. While they do not own the patent for the exercise itself, they do own the rights to the name and the instructional program.

In order to offer “Spinning” branded classes at your health club, you would need to become a licensed Spinning facility. This involves paying an annual fee to Mad Dogg Athletics and adhering to their guidelines for equipment, instruction, and marketing. You would also need to have at least one instructor who has completed the Spinning certification program.

However, it`s important to note that you can still offer indoor cycling classes without being a licensed Spinning facility. You would just need to use a different name for your classes and ensure that your instructors are properly certified through a reputable organization. Some popular alternatives to Spinning include SoulCycle, Peloton, and Flywheel.

If you`re unsure whether you need a licensing agreement to offer spinning classes at your health club, it`s always best to consult with a legal professional. In general, it`s important to respect the intellectual property rights of others and ensure that you are operating within the bounds of the law.

In conclusion, while a licensing agreement is not required to offer indoor cycling classes, becoming a licensed Spinning facility can provide your health club with a recognizable brand and access to a comprehensive instructional program. Just make sure to do your research and follow all legal requirements before offering any new classes.